The Future of Line Contracting: A Workforce Transformation
In January 2020, ELECTRI International commissioned Maxim Consulting to conduct a research initiative specifically addressing the Future of Line Contracting. The study first evaluated major trends driving the transmission line market. Second, the research consultants collected in-depth contractor-specific information on ways to capitalize upon these trends.
When studying contractors, the focus was on the following areas:
- Their market forces
- Technology and Tool changes
- Processes and Operations
- People, Labor, and Competencies
- Industry Changes
- Regulatory Changes
This study seeks to help guide contractors towards a future strategy by answering three questions:
- What trends and market forces are driving the future of line construction projects?
- How do you retain the knowledge accumulated by linemen and workers who are nearing retirement?
- What process and systems will you introduce to transform the workplace and fill those worker gaps more quickly?