- See the List of ELECTRI Council Members
- See the Schedule for ELECTRI Council Meetings
- Review Completed Research
- Receive Request for Research Proposals
- Apply for Research Funding
- Apply for an Early Career Award
- Make A Contribution to ELECTRI
- Learn More About the Talent Initiative
- Enter the Green Energy Challenge
- Learn About International Student Passport Program
- Go to the Next Cross Border Meeting
- Find a NECA Student Chapter
- Start a NECA Student Chapter
- Get My NECA Chapter Involved with ELECTRI
- Apply for the Wendt Scholarship for NECA Chapters
- Apply for a NECA Student Chapter Faculty Stipend
- Apply for a NECA Student Chapter Scholarship
You are here
Merida, Mexico Hosts Successful ELECTRI Gathering
As of March 26, 2017
April 11, 2015
Merida, the historic capital of Yucatan, Mexico, welcomed 45 contractors and guests for ELECTRI International’s 2015 Cross-Border Meeting. This tenth cross-border gathering began on March 25 with a welcome reception and dinner at the University of Yucatan, located in the historic center of Merida.
At the business meeting the following morning, Russ Alessi, ELECTRI’s President, and David Hardt, Chairman of ELECTRI’s Board of Trustees, welcomed the delegations from the US and from Mexico.
Ricardo Jimenez Cataño, President of Mexico’s Unión Nacional de Constructores Electromecánicos, A.C. (UNCE) explained that association’s role in the development of the electrical construction industry in Mexico. The group then heard updates on the industry from two of NECA’s international chapters: Eloy F. Muñoz M., President of the Advisory Council of AMERIC, and Luis Felipe Flores, NECA Chapter Governor for the ACOEO Chapter. Next, guests were treated to an interesting overview of Merida and its surrounding area by Ivonne Erosa Serrano, Deputy Director, Premium Tourism Department, Tourism Board of Yucatan.
Contractors had the opportunity to learn more about Mexico’s Energy Sector and Electrical Contracting Market. This panel discussion was led by Jorge Antonio Triana Alvarado, Equipos de Potencia Electrica, S.A. DE C.V., Horacio Soriano Mora, Schneider Electric Mexico, and Oscar Torres Araujo, Torvi Ingenieros, S.A. DE C.V. Guillermo Arizmendi Gamboa, National CFE Distribution Planning Manager, spoke on the topic of Electric Utilities in Mexico.
The final presentation of the Cross-Border Business Meeting was a session on Smart Grid Technologies by Lonny Simonian P.E., California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo.
ELECTRI organized a site visit to the Control Center of the Commisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE) in Merida.The group learned about the energy reform initiatives now underway in Mexico and about the latest technologies being employed including smart grids, renewable energy production, and other advanced techniques.
The 2015 Cross Border Meeting ended with a farewell reception and dinner at the beautiful Hacienda Santa Cruz de Palomeque.
ELECTRI is currently reviewing potential destinations for its 2016 Cross Border event. Watch for details.