- See the List of ELECTRI Council Members
- See the Schedule for ELECTRI Council Meetings
- Review Completed Research
- Receive Request for Research Proposals
- Apply for Research Funding
- Apply for an Early Career Award
- Make A Contribution to ELECTRI
- Learn More About the Talent Initiative
- Enter the Green Energy Challenge
- Learn About International Student Passport Program
- Go to the Next Cross Border Meeting
- Find a NECA Student Chapter
- Start a NECA Student Chapter
- Get My NECA Chapter Involved with ELECTRI
- Apply for the Wendt Scholarship for NECA Chapters
- Apply for a NECA Student Chapter Faculty Stipend
- Apply for a NECA Student Chapter Scholarship
You are here
International Competition for Students Offers $20,000 Project Award
As of April 26, 2017
February 24, 2014
ELECTRI International – The Foundation for Electrical Construction, Inc. is sponsoring the new Student Passport Initiative competition for Student Chapters organized by the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA). Student Chapter teams will compete by submitting projects that advance efficient and sustainable energy solutions for rural, developing communities within the United States or internationally.
The winning team, selected by an ELECTRI International jury panel, will receive an up to $20,000 one-year grant from ELECTRI to use for travel and project implementation. The Student Chapter is expected to develop close working relationships with its sponsoring NECA Chapter and other industry leaders who can provide advice and/or equipment.
Each NECA Student Chapter may enter the competition by submitting a proposal that includes:
- Rationale for the location selected, project details describing the proposed energy systems improvements, timetable, and budget.
- Confirmation from the NECA Student Chapter faculty advisor that the project is the work of the members of the Student Chapter and that the project (if selected) will or will not provide academic credits for each student team member.
- Endorsement from an electrical contractor, utility, manufacturer, distributor, or other organization in the chosen area verifying the feasibility and value of the proposed project.
The 2014-2015 Student Passport competition is now open. Teams must submit proposals by April 30, 2014. The jury will review projects using a point scoring system and will announce finalists by May 30th. The Student Passport winning team will be selected during the July 24-25 ELECTRI Council meeting in Toronto, Canada. ELECTRI will provide travel support for the faculty advisor and one member of each finalist team to attend the ELECTRI Council meeting for the final proposal presentations.
The winning team will work with the ELECTRI Council and other industry partners to acquire contributed materials for the installation. The team is expected to complete the project by May 2015 and present a report and results at the July 2015 Council meeting.
ELECTRI President Russell Alessi announced the Student Passport launch noting, “This ELECTRI initiative will offer meaningful service learning experiences. We are confident that this competition will encourage construction management and electrical engineering students to take an active role in improving access to electricity. Equally important, the Student Passport Initiative will help young adults learn the value of “paying it forward” by taking their time to volunteer for projects that will make a difference in the quality of life for other people in other countries.”
Complete Student Passport application and scoring details are available at the ELECTRI website at http://www.electri.org/content/student-passport-program-0.
For additional information, contact Sylvia Selwood, ELECTRI Director of Operations, at email@example.com.